After getting a bob cut, I thought of a change in my hairstyle. But, with so short hair, I could hardly do anything. Hence, I got human hair extensions which helped in giving me a fabulous change in my overall appearance (I act fast, isn’t it?). I could style my extensions the way I desired. However, after a week of using it daily, I started noticing that the hair has lost its shine and had become quite dirty. As my extensions were of good quality, they had cost me a bomb.
Tips To Maintain Your Human Hair Extensions
I decided to wash my extensions, but wanted to be careful. Luckily, I had got a brochure with my human hair extensions. That’s where I got these useful tips on maintenance of extensions.
- The very first instruction was to check if your extensions really need washing. If you wear it daily, you must wash it twice a week. If you wear it once in a month or on special occasions, you should wash them only if they look dirty.
- Before washing the extensions, comb them with a wide tooth comb. If there are too many tangles, use your fingers to detangle the hair. Alternately, you can apply some detangling serum too.
- Do not use very hot water on the extensions. This will damage the hair. Make sure the water is lukewarm. If possible use mineral water. Use a mild shampoo for straight extensions and moisturizing shampoo for curly extensions (as they tend to be dry). Mix some shampoo in lukewarm water. Take this mixture in your hands and clean the extensions from top to bottom.
- Do not wash the extensions harshly as this might result in breakage. Do not rub or twist the extensions.
- Wash the hair with fresh lukewarm water once you are done with shampoo cleaning.
- Extensions need conditioning too, just as your own hair. Take some conditioner and apply on the extensions starting from the tips of the hair to the weft (top). Leave the conditioner for 2 to 3 minutes before rinsing it with lukewarm water.
- Extensions should not be dried with a hair dryer. You must hang the extensions on the hangar and put it on your clothes line to dry naturally. You can apply a live-on conditioner and detangling serum for best results.
Isn’t it simple to take care of your costly extensions which help you so much in enhancing your looks? These extensions can be styled differently every time. You can cut them, perm them, iron them, colour them and have a lot of fun with them. There are endless possibilities open in front of you when it comes to styling your extensions.
It’s necessary to remove these extensions before going to bed in the night for a good night’s sleep. These extensions must be kept in a safe place away from dust, insects, children and pets. Hope this article will be useful for the maintenance of your extensions. If it has been, do let me know by leaving me a comment below.