Many people do not realize it but your skin is very important to both your physical health and your outer beauty. In fact, your skin is one of your body’s most important organs and without healthy skin care, you could run into health problems not to mention more minor but very annoying problems like acne, wrinkles and dryness. Your skin eliminates toxins through perspiration via pores, it protects your inner organs and the condition of the skin can tell you many things about what is going on in your body, both positive and negative.
There are many types of skin and everyone is unique meaning no two people have exactly the same skin. There is dry skin, sensitive skin, oily skin, dull skin and skin that may have a combination of two or more of these problems that occur on different areas of the body. It is because of this that it is very important that, in order to keep skin at its healthiest, you use skin care products that are targeted to your unique skin type. Although there are many healthy skin care products out there, I and millions of other people all over the world have been having success with natural skin care and here is a rundown of some things you can do and use to keep each skin type looking its best. First let’s talk about oily skin care.
Although you can take comfort in knowing that oily skin is less likely to develop wrinkles (see anti wrinkle skin care), it also causes blackheads, acne, clogged pores and dreaded shine. There are many things one can do to keep this type of skin under control including:
- Wash skin with a cleanser that is made for your skin type but do not use something that contains harsh ingredients that will dry out your skin and cause another problem. Cleansers that contain tea tree oil or aloe vera are great for this skin type, see our aloe vera skin care guide for more info.
- After cleansing, use a toner. Witch hazel and diluted apple cider vinegar make great, inexpensive natural toners.
- Drink lots of water, eat a balanced diet full of vegetables, fruits and grains and make sure you are getting your vitamins and minerals.
- Take supplements that are meant to keep skin healthy from the inside out such as kelp, omega oils and fish oils, flax seeds and silica.
- Keep your hands away from your face to prevent bacteria from entering pores and to keep shine at bay.
- Once a week, apply a mud mask or peel mask to problem areas to draw dirt and oil out of the pores.
- Exfoliate weekly to get rid of dead skin.
Healthy body skin care is also very important when it comes to sensitive skin care. Sensitive skin reacts badly to any harsh ingredients and dries out and breaks out easily which means you need to be careful about what skin care you use. Here are some tips to help you keep your sensitive skin looking good:
- Use beauty products that have natural and non-harsh ingredients and cosmetics products that are scent-free.
- Applied topically, olive oil and flax seed oil keep your skin soft and healthy looking while getting rid of dryness.
- Protect your skin against the sun by using sunscreen regularly. Protect it against the cold by wearing scarves in winter and using a light moisturizer.
- Do not use water that is too hot or too cold when cleaning your skin.
- Do not over-wash.
Acne is much the same as oily skin care except a little more complicated. Where as oily skin does not always result in breakouts, acne is hard to control and get rid of and requires special attention to keep it under control. Acne can result in scarring if not properly treated and can affect a person’s mental health and self-esteem if it is a constant thing in their life because of the unsightly look of acne pimples. Here are a few tips on how to keep acne under control if you are prone to this problem:
- Drink a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in three ounces of water at least once a day or take apple cider vinegar supplements.
- Drink lots of water and get lots of fibre to flush out toxins that would otherwise come out in the skin.
- Apply aloe vera directly to the skin after washing.
- Do not pick at your face as this will spread bacteria and make the problem worse.
- Exfoliate and apply a mask at least once a week.
Click for more acne skin care tips
There are two other things that have been gaining popularity when it comes to healthy skin care and they are green tea skin care and organic skin care. Both of these are great for all skin types. Green tea is beneficial for the skin whether you drink it, apply the tea bags directly to skin as a toner or take supplements. Organic skin care ensures that you are using products that are free from pesticides and other non-natural ingredients that can be bad for your skin and your overall health.
These are just some of the things you can be doing everyday to ensure that you keep your skin looking young and beautiful at any age and ensure that it does what it is supposed to be doing when it comes to performing it’s duties as the body’s largest organ. Studies have shown that exercise and maintaining a positive attitude also contribute to healthy skin and overall great health. The best skin care products need not be complicated or difficult and it need not take up much of your time. Ten minutes both morning and night on a daily basis should be enough and when you see the results, you will see that that time is time well spent in return for the great-looking skin you will have. Get into a healthy routine and once you get used to that routine, it will be simple to maintain and you will have great skin for life and having great skin means you will look great and that will make you feel great!